Thursday, April 25, 2013

Simpler Times?


What I remember most about my early life is the sense of belonging we had when I was a child. Being a child, dependent on others, there is a lot more day to day involvement with family.  Some of my most exciting times were spent at my cousin's house on "sleepovers" when I'd get to see her big sister in action with boys and learn how to be a teenager.  I wonder if she knew how much I idolized her. 

When we get to our elder years, our memories take on  more importance, I think,  than they should by comparison to actual events, but these  memories - true or just perceived - are comforting.   As the years pass and the social and family circle wanes - by choice or circumstance or design, who can say - our memories take us back to those simpler times in life when being dependent was not abhorrent and family involvement was the norm. 

For many, the values of yesterday remain intact.  For others, events have changed the outlook and given new perspective.  The passing of time, the moving on, the changes in life pattern are the end result of  a life lived, starting with the simple and moving to the complex. In spite of our best efforts to aggrandize the idea of "simpler times" it may just be our more innocent memories at work, probably not always real, just earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment