Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Verb Me, Verb Me Not

I'd morph myself outta here, but where would I go??
Words morph a lot these days and it bothers me when our lexicon allows - no, invites - the use of nouns as verbs.  When did we turn a conversation into "dialoguing" and isn't "Google" a place, not an action?  In the old days, we dumped someone we didn't like, now we "defriend" them. A snowboard used to be a piece of sports equipment - now it's an action, too. The list is endless.

I think it all started when we let "ain't" become acceptable English usage.  It was the door opener to a changing lexicon in which everyone can add to the vernacular by devising some new twitter word. And the worst part of it all is that you just can't avoid it.  Join 'em or get left behind.  I'd defriend myself, but it might be actionable in a trending sort of way.

4 comments:

  1. :) and do emoticons get you going too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many violations of the correct English Grammar that I was taught way back when... and I see the violations in quite reputable publications and TV news coverage.
    My most recent pet peeve is when someone says "the couple were" instead of the couple "was" or the "family were" instead of the "family was" and of course all similar misuses of words that indicate plurality but do not end in an "s"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The use of the apostrophe in words that are plurals works my last nerve............once a teacher, always a teacher!!

    ReplyDelete