Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Little Outrage

I don't know if I'm more appalled at the Boston marathon bombing or at my reaction to it.  My immediate thought was that I was not surprised.  Not surprised that nearly 200 hundred people were maimed or killed??? What's wrong with me?  Am I so desensitized to horrific events that I can't even wrap my mind around the tragedies enough to feel more than "not surprised"?

Something has gone awfully wrong in the world when the best we can do is to block out the horrors instead of running into the streets in outrage.  Comedian  Patton Oswalt wrote poignantly of  this tragedy, and violence in general, when he made a post to his Facebook page after the bombing, ending with, "So when you spot violence...or...hatred..., just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will.' "  

I might add, for me, that along with carrying forward with good thoughts about humanity, a little more steam-pouring-out-of-the-ears outrage about violent perpetrators wouldn't hurt, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment