Thursday, April 4, 2013

Truth - and Consequences

I listen to a fair amount of talk radio - the kind that is not politically-motivated or rabidly opinionated - or so they say.  I also watch news channels that purport to be informational.  Over time, I'm questioning the kind of information we really get from these programs. One thing I'm sure of is that there is rarely a conclusion presented and I am tiring of listening to talking heads of all ages and experience levels just rambling on and on and never coming to a point. Or they are adamant on a certain outcome and then do an about-face when it doesn't happen that way.  

Comedian and fake newsman, Stephen Colbert, sure captured what is going on here - "truthiness" by his definition is "a quality characterizing a 'truth' that a person claims to know intuitively 'from the gut' or because it 'feels right' without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.   

That pretty much sums up my opinion on what is going on with information delivery today. It's a little bit news and a lot intuition with a large smattering of "touchy/feely" or political correctness thrown in for good measure. You just can't trust the sources, even the seasoned "experts" who seem to fall into the same trap as the youngsters and opine without supporting their statements - much less with logic or facts.

I don't like it.  It makes me feel divorced from what is really going on in the world with no way of finding the truth.  I hope you don't like it, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment