Monday, May 13, 2013

Talking Out of Both Sides of My Mouth


I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. I used to strongly favor it, but I'm not so sure anymore.  

My moral compass tells me that it is not right to take a life, even of a murderer. Wouldn't life in prison without possibility of parole be sound justice, so that the perpetrator has plenty of time to live with his/her crime? But  my sense of outrage over horrific crimes leads me to want "an eye for an eye" justice, not to mention it would save a lot of tax dollars used for housing criminals. 

It's a tough call, but I'm just not sure we have a right to take a life, even of a twisted monster.  Ah, but here's the rub.  Out of the other side of my mouth, I support first trimester abortion - and by some people's standards, this is "taking a life". I sure don't like  talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I haven't figured out how not to, as yet.  Are you conflicted, too?


1 comment:

  1. You speak for many of us Stef! Thanks for putting it into such thoughtful words.

    ReplyDelete