Sunday, June 30, 2013

Heft


I like The Actor's Studio TV program with James Lipton on which he interviews celebs. He always asks a series of questions, one of which is "What is your favorite word?"  I've been pondering this question for years, as there are so many to choose from.  I finally figured it out.

My favorite word is "heft."  It says a lot in four letters.  The dictionary says this: lift or carry something heavy; the weight of someone or something; heaviness; ponderosity; burden.  I see it as much more.  Heft signifies grit and strength, meatiness, depth, importance, capacity, mental acuity. It is a visual word for me. 
my art - is there heft in this?

There is a recent TV series called Boss starring Kelsey Grammer as a ruthless Chicago Mayor.  In one episode, asked by a political contender what Boss has to offer with his endorsement that he does not already have himself.  Boss replies "I have heft."

When you have heft, you have power, authority, respect - any number of influences.  Used well, heft can be a contributor to great good.  I just love the word and all its nuances.











No comments:

Post a Comment