Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Certain Thrill


There is a certain thrill that comes with joyful involvement.  It means different things to different people, but to me, when I am focused on something important to me - like my art, or redecorating, or writing this blog, I get a feeling that cannot be described.  It is more than satisfaction.  It is like moving forward with a twinkle.  
one of my whimsical art pieces

The feeling doesn't come from anything I can readily identify, but it is there and it is real.  Maybe it's just being committed to something that does it.  Or being involved in an effort that you would not normally pursue on a regular basis.  It's rather elusive, but, nonetheless, it is there and I can almost taste it.  

There have been many times in all our lives when the heaviness was palpable and we weren't sure we'd get through it.  Well, this feeling of joyful involvement is just the opposite of that heaviness. It is not a false euphoria that goes away as quickly as it comes. It leaves a residue of good feeling that contributes to overall well-being in the longer term.  Maybe it is just contentment, knowing we have achieved something close to a purr.

I like to think it's my whimsical side bursting out more and more.  What is it for you? 

1 comment:

  1. Stef!
    A favorite partial quote of mine is..... "...narcotic moment of creative bliss..." These words come from a hilarious movie send up of art school entitled "Art School Confidential."
    That is what I seek in doing creative things. I have experienced it and acknowledged it in the moment, and yet, there is no specifically mapped way to get there!! It is always a challenge.
    Love your posts, thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete