Thursday, June 20, 2013

It's a Couples World


The world appears to be made up of those who are "coupled" and those who are not.  The latter group is heavily populated with women for reasons of longevity and greater numbers, in general.  When I was a younger single woman, I often wondered why I was excluded from couples get-togethers and still don't quite get it, to this day.  I have one friend who  regularly included me in these gatherings, for which I've been ever grateful.  And certainly, others have included me over the years, but the general rule is that having an extra single man at the table is a treat and an extra single woman is avoided.

It finally occurred to me that I was a threat to many women's "coupledom."  The most blatant demonstration of this was the time I sat at one end of a sofa chatting with the husband of a friend who sat at the other end. When the wife saw this, she rushed over and sat between us.  What was she afraid of?  That I would physically attack her husband or more subtly try to lure him from her?  Puh-leez. Trust me, I haven't yet met another woman's husband that I would have wanted as my own.  They were great guys, but they were not available. Period. 

With all our "liberation" in these modern times, in many situations single women are like the plague - to be avoided at all costs.  It's a pity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment